Friday, January 17, 2014

Vegan Yarn

While perusing Meijer for my weekend groceries this afternoon, I got distracted by - cue dramatic music- the yarn aisle.


I couldn't resist picking up a few skeins, because can a person ever have too much yarn? I think not!


As a vegan, I crochet exclusively with yarns that do not contain animal fibers, so no wool for this girl. Most of my yarn stash is acrylic yarn, because it tends to be very inexpensive and available in a wide array of colors (Red Heart Super SaverBernat Super Value, Lion Brand Homespun). Other plant-powered yarn materials include cotton (Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton and Lily Sugar N' Cream), bamboo (Bernat Bamboo), and hemp (Lion Cotton/Hemp Blend). I chose these examples because brands like Lion, Red Heart, and Bernat are easy to find and well-stocked in crafting stores like Joann Fabrics and Michael's. If you're interested in learning more about vegan yarn, The Fake Sheep has an excellent, detailed blog entry that breaks down the different types of vegan yarn and has links and reviews for less mainstream yarn sources. 

What are your crochet plans for this weekend? I think I may use that hot pink Red Heart Shimmer yarn for one of the Valentine's Day Patterns I posted earlier this month. 

Cheers,

- Katie Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment