Friday, January 24, 2014

If at first you don't succeed, crochet again.

Good morning, friends!

Have you ever finished a crochet project and thought "hmm, this is not quite what I was going for?" Such was the case with the cat ear hat I have been crocheting for the better part of a week.

I started with a skein of Lion Brand's Heartland yarn in Sequoia. I like this yarn because it is a soft acrylic, and the blend of warm brown tones reminded me of the colors of my tortie kitty, Luna.


I used a pattern called The Hathaway which I purchased from SwellAmy. The pattern was very well written with clear instructions, and Amy gives permission for finished items to be sold, which is awesome. Amy is also very available to answer questions and help out anyone that buys her patterns, she is truly talented and lovely.

Here's my finished hat:

It turned out very nice, except it is not "tall" enough, but I do not fault Amy's pattern for that at all. I can tell the yarn I used is thinner than what she uses in the pattern, so when I make my next hat I just need to add a few more rounds. And I will definitely be making more hats! 

When I first started crocheting, I was easily discouraged when a pattern did not turn out as I expected, but the truth is every time you take your hook to yarn you will be learning something, and you will learn more from your mistakes than your successes. So don't give up, and be patient and kind with yourself. Your finished project will be that much more special and amazing for the time and trials you went through to perfect it. 

Have a wonderful weekend! Come visit Thread by Thread Zen again soon- my next post will be a round up of some of my favorite free crochet coaster patterns. 

Cheers,

- Katie Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment